History of Vaile Elementary

Vaile Elementary History

Vaile Elementary School, one of six elementary schools within the Richmond Community Schools Corporation, serves students in Grades PreK-4. Vaile, named for Dr. Joel Vaile, surgeon, 41st Regiment Indiana Cavalry, 1861, has stood on its present site, three blocks south of The National Road, since 1884.

The original building was replaced in 1954. A three million dollar total renovation was completed in 1998, adding additional space for multipurpose/lunchroom, art and music facilities, additional kindergarten space, and an upgrade and relocation of the office and health facilities.

The entire building received electrical and physical improvements, including air-conditioning and technology access. As a result, a pleasant and comfortable environment provides for optimal learning opportunities throughout the school.

Hallway carpeting serves to reduce noise and ample colorful wall space provides many outlets for attractive displays of student work. Meals are served in the multi-purpose room where students are seated in family-style round tables. Great pride is taken in keeping the facility exceptionally clean and well maintained.

Visit Vaile Elementary's Web site for more school information and current events.